Are There Additives Used for Powder Coating?September 24, 2018
Powder coating additives enhance the final shell-like coating with different features and properties. There are even liquid additives, which would seem counterintuitive to what's essentially a dry process. Whatever their form, though, they control the curing finish, both in appearance and impenetrability, in several important ways. Starting with flow control additives, here's a guide to this clearly important subsector of the industry.
Flow Control Additives
Just like the label reads, this enhancement to the formula improves the flow of the powder coating as it liquidizes. Technically, the engineers who create this component refer to them as tension modifiers. The coating fluidizes and cures uniformly thanks to these compounds, and undesirable process defects, including cratering and the dreaded orange peel effect, are efficiently neutralized. Influencing flow viscosity, acrylates and silicones do merit a mention in this category as smoothness improvers.
Appearance Enhancement Supplements
This group of additives fills out what is possibly the largest category in the powder coating ingredients catalogue. Different compounds add textures or glossiness to the final result. Alternatively, there are supplementary ingredients that skip over glossiness and focus on matte coatings instead. Back with the textures, there are coarse-grained coatings, hammer-toned finishes, multi-pigmented coatings, and more. Then, improving the distribution ratio of the powders, there are special dispersants, which ensure optimal coverage.
For every troubleshooting category at the end of a powder coating booth's operator's manual, there's also an additive solution. If the process is suffering from an outgassing issue, then this compound will melt and scavenge the gas so that it doesn't impact the coating. Benzoin is a popular degassing additive. With this chemical in the mix, gas bubbles dissolve into the fluidized resin, so there's no nasty bubbling on the powder coated finish.
Durability Improving Additives
Here's a category that covers scores of different environmental and operational conditions. Stopping rust, there are chemicals that expressly improve cross-linking. They're found in tough powder coating finishes. Scratch-resistance and abrasion minimizing ingredients also fall into this category. Then there are HALS (Hindered-Amine Light Stabilizers) to prevent UV damage. In general, UV absorbers prevent clear coats and pigmented finishes from suffering under the sun.
The answer is YES, there are a host of powder coating additives on the market. There are binders and degassers, UV stabilizers and anti-static controllers, plus gloss control agents and texturizers. They work on two levels. First, they enhance the fluidization stage. Second, but just as importantly, they enhance the cured finish so that the skin is ultra-hard, environment tough, and visually attractive.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Benefits of Powder Coating Anodized Aluminium Extrusions
- Are There Additives Used for Powder Coating?
- Reasons Why Powder Coating Can Bubble, Crack, and Peel Off
- The Importance of Engineering Design in Powder Coating Equipment Manufacturing
- Maintenance Tips for Powder Coated Metals
- Beneficial Features of Powder Coating Curing Ovens
- Benefits of Turnkey Powder Coating Equipment for Businesses
- Purposes of Dry-Off Oven in Powder Coating
- Purposes of Stainless Steel Powder Coating Booths
- Powder Coating Pretreatment Equipment Supplier in Melbourne
- Overhead Conveyor and Turn Key System: Safety and Accuracy in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating for Aluminium Extrusions
- Electrocoating: Understanding How It Really Works
- Improving Uniform Transfer Efficiency of Powder Coating Guns
- What is Batch System in Powder Coating?
- Early Signs of Powder Equipment Fatigue and Breakdown
- Cost Effectiveness of Choosing Powder Coat versus Wet Paint
- Heat Tolerance of Powder Coating: How Much Can It Take?
- Powder Coating Aluminium Extrusions
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…