Benefits of Powder Coating Anodized Aluminium ExtrusionsOctober 10, 2018
Straight to the point, then, what is anodizing? Used on aluminium parts, this electrochemical process deposits a protective oxide layer. That coating looks attractive because it's essentially transparent. Utilized by many as a powerful post-production solution, the technology even adds different colours. However, when anodized aluminium extrusions come to mind, at any rate, powder coating technology is the superior solution.
The Drawbacks: Anodized Aluminium Extrusions
Under Benign Conditions, where there's no chemicals or water around, anodized extrusions can last forever, even if that coating is thin. A scratch, however, will expose the base metal. Still, if the metal is located in some chemically neutral locale, there's a good chance this corrosion resistant alloy will last for many years. What we're maybe forgetting is this: there are few truly benign locations left on our planet. Salty sea air rusts metals. Even inland, urban pollution mixes with slightly acidic rain to act as a corrosion accelerator.
Overcoming the Moderately Capable Factor
Again, in what's rapidly becoming a myth, there aren't many truly environmentally neutral places left on the globe. Anodized aluminium extrusions can last for years, but that's assuming the conditions are perfectly ideal. If there are chemicals in the air, and there are because cars emissions are everywhere, then the life expectancy of anodized aluminium extrusion parts drops. Moderately capable and moderately protective, well, that feature isn't enough, not today. By powder coating the lightweight extrusions, more colours and textures become available. Better yet, though, the geometrically shaped rods of metal gain a superior layer of long-lasting material protection.
Specifically Targeted Benefits
Aluminium extrusions are expected to function in countless commercial and industrial applications. They're installed in equipment racks, in electronic cabinets, workshop tables, automotive subassemblies, and more. Anodizing, an electrochemical process, transforms the top layer of the metal. If the extrusions are dented or dinged, then the damage impacts the part directly. Granted, that finish is regarded as a moderately adept scratch and abrasion shield, but the damage is still experienced by the actual part. With powder coating, an impermeable membrane cures around the entire shaped rod, so those dents and scratches cannot impact the underlying aluminium alloy.
While capable, anodized aluminium extrusions operate as partially transformed constructs. Basically, this is a controlled corrosion process, with the electrolyte-converted aluminium oxide layer providing a moderately powerful shield. Powder coating technology, however, goes the extra mile by adding a separate but inseparable membrane, one that performs as a finer chemical shield. And, even when the extrusions application area isn't in a chemically active locale, there really are chemicals everywhere today, floating free as pollutant clouds.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Powder Coating Turn-Key Coating Solutions: How Can it Help Manufacturers?
- Safety Measures When Powder Coating Materials
- How to Maintain Powder Coated Surfaces
- Benefits of Powder Coating Anodized Aluminium Extrusions
- Are There Additives Used for Powder Coating?
- Reasons Why Powder Coating Can Bubble, Crack, and Peel Off
- The Importance of Engineering Design in Powder Coating Equipment Manufacturing
- Maintenance Tips for Powder Coated Metals
- Beneficial Features of Powder Coating Curing Ovens
- Benefits of Turnkey Powder Coating Equipment for Businesses
- Purposes of Dry-Off Oven in Powder Coating
- Purposes of Stainless Steel Powder Coating Booths
- Powder Coating Pretreatment Equipment Supplier in Melbourne
- Overhead Conveyor and Turn Key System: Safety and Accuracy in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating for Aluminium Extrusions
- Electrocoating: Understanding How It Really Works
- Improving Uniform Transfer Efficiency of Powder Coating Guns
- What is Batch System in Powder Coating?
- Early Signs of Powder Equipment Fatigue and Breakdown
- Cost Effectiveness of Choosing Powder Coat versus Wet Paint
- Heat Tolerance of Powder Coating: How Much Can It Take?
- Powder Coating Aluminium Extrusions
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…