Benefits of Powder Coating Anodized Aluminium ExtrusionsOctober 10, 2018
Straight to the point, then, what is anodizing? Used on aluminium parts, this electrochemical process deposits a protective oxide layer. That coating looks attractive because it's essentially transparent. Utilized by many as a powerful post-production solution, the technology even adds different colours. However, when anodized aluminium extrusions come to mind, at any rate, powder coating technology is the superior solution.
The Drawbacks: Anodized Aluminium Extrusions
Under Benign Conditions, where there's no chemicals or water around, anodized extrusions can last forever, even if that coating is thin. A scratch, however, will expose the base metal. Still, if the metal is located in some chemically neutral locale, there's a good chance this corrosion resistant alloy will last for many years. What we're maybe forgetting is this: there are few truly benign locations left on our planet. Salty sea air rusts metals. Even inland, urban pollution mixes with slightly acidic rain to act as a corrosion accelerator.
Overcoming the Moderately Capable Factor
Again, in what's rapidly becoming a myth, there aren't many truly environmentally neutral places left on the globe. Anodized aluminium extrusions can last for years, but that's assuming the conditions are perfectly ideal. If there are chemicals in the air, and there are because cars emissions are everywhere, then the life expectancy of anodized aluminium extrusion parts drops. Moderately capable and moderately protective, well, that feature isn't enough, not today. By powder coating the lightweight extrusions, more colours and textures become available. Better yet, though, the geometrically shaped rods of metal gain a superior layer of long-lasting material protection.
Specifically Targeted Benefits
Aluminium extrusions are expected to function in countless commercial and industrial applications. They're installed in equipment racks, in electronic cabinets, workshop tables, automotive subassemblies, and more. Anodizing, an electrochemical process, transforms the top layer of the metal. If the extrusions are dented or dinged, then the damage impacts the part directly. Granted, that finish is regarded as a moderately adept scratch and abrasion shield, but the damage is still experienced by the actual part. With powder coating, an impermeable membrane cures around the entire shaped rod, so those dents and scratches cannot impact the underlying aluminium alloy.
While capable, anodized aluminium extrusions operate as partially transformed constructs. Basically, this is a controlled corrosion process, with the electrolyte-converted aluminium oxide layer providing a moderately powerful shield. Powder coating technology, however, goes the extra mile by adding a separate but inseparable membrane, one that performs as a finer chemical shield. And, even when the extrusions application area isn't in a chemically active locale, there really are chemicals everywhere today, floating free as pollutant clouds.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How Magnetic Induction Method Measure Powder Coating Thickness
- Overcoming the Faraday Cage Effect in Powder Coating Application
- The Significance of Particle Size in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- The Differences Between Powder Coating and Electroplating
- Powder Coat Adhesion Testing Process
- Why Is Powder Coating a Sustainable Option?
- Common Reasons for Chipped Powder Coating
- Electrostatic, Low Grade Ion, and Tribo: Charging Processes Used in Powder Coating
- What are the Causes of Outgassing in Powder Coating?
- Powder Coating Contamination and Its Effects on Product Quality
- Understanding the Causes of Craters in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Booth Temperature: A Factor in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- Powder Coating: A Phosphate Pre-Treatment is a Plus
- Paint Powder Qualities Required for Powder Coating Equipment
- Common Issues of Metallic Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Gun Settings: How It Can Affect Powder Coat Finish
- Turn Key Powder Coating Equipment: Customised Solution for All Powder Coating Needs
- Important Things to Keep in Mind Prior to Ordering Your Powder Coating Oven
- Appearance Issues: What Happens When a Powder Coating Equipment is Already Failing?
- View all articles…
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…