Common Powder Coating Gun Problems and SolutionsMarch 22, 2017
There's no pleasure to be found in troubleshooting. It all feels a bit like hitting your head against a brick wall. Granted, powder coating technology has been adopted as an industry-wide finishing solution, but there's still equipment idiosyncrasies to deal with, yes, even here. On the subject of powder coating guns, several issues crop up from time-to-time. Here's a look at the more common problems you may experience with these handheld sprayers.
The gun spits out the powder, workpiece coverage is uneven, and it's back to square one. What's gone wrong in this scenario? If the air supply in the gun hose is irregular, the flowing powder burps, spits, and surges. A regulated discharge relies on a properly controlled air source. Check for kinks in the hose before calling out a technician to overhaul the compressor. Better yet, start at the spray zone by ensuring the discharge nozzle at the front of the gun is tight and free of blockage.
Complex geometrical profiles are easy to fully coat when the equipment is set just right, but this happy circumstance can desert you when you need it most. If the coating won't penetrate holes and cover fine surface details, try adjusting the voltage setting on the gun. Extend the circuit inspection to the ground connector. Alternatively, turn up the air delivery setting. If neither of these corrective actions yields positive results, consider connecting a barrel extension to the gun so that the powder reaches every nook and cranny.
Workpiece Repulsion Effect
Curiously, the powder isn't just refusing to adhere to the part, it's actively being repelled. This back ionisation condition disrupts the distribution of the electrostatic charge. Again, this is a circuit issue. Check the ground, turn down the gun voltage, and consider pulling the gun back from the work area. You could be too close to the part. A gun nozzle-to-part surface distance of 20-cm to 25-cm is adequate for most powder coating work.
Common sense works well here, but, should that sixth sense fail, put on your troubleshooting cap. Overcoverage problems and under coverage issues are related. The circuit is likely poorly setup, so turn everything to the off position. Is the electrical ground configured? Perhaps the kV (kilovolt) rating of the gun has shifted. Reset the equipment, adjust the power setting, the air discharge level, and finish by clearing the gun nozzle. As for ionisation problems and powder "burps," practise a good gun control method while making sure the air is dry, clog-free, and unhindered.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How the Right Powder Coating Equipment and Powder Coating Application Can Help Avert Corrosion and Rust
- The Benefits of Powder Coating in Metal Fabrication
- How Magnetic Induction Method Measure Powder Coating Thickness
- Overcoming the Faraday Cage Effect in Powder Coating Application
- The Significance of Particle Size in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- The Differences Between Powder Coating and Electroplating
- Powder Coat Adhesion Testing Process
- Why Is Powder Coating a Sustainable Option?
- Common Reasons for Chipped Powder Coating
- Electrostatic, Low Grade Ion, and Tribo: Charging Processes Used in Powder Coating
- What are the Causes of Outgassing in Powder Coating?
- Powder Coating Contamination and Its Effects on Product Quality
- Understanding the Causes of Craters in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Booth Temperature: A Factor in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- Powder Coating: A Phosphate Pre-Treatment is a Plus
- Paint Powder Qualities Required for Powder Coating Equipment
- Common Issues of Metallic Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Gun Settings: How It Can Affect Powder Coat Finish
- Turn Key Powder Coating Equipment: Customised Solution for All Powder Coating Needs
- Important Things to Keep in Mind Prior to Ordering Your Powder Coating Oven
- Appearance Issues: What Happens When a Powder Coating Equipment is Already Failing?
- View all articles…
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…