Electrocoating: Understanding How It Really WorksApril 13, 2018
Electrocoating technology is usually described in a vague manner. That's just the way experts think. They describe the electrical charge, the vat full of paint, and the post-process rinse tank. What if someone needs more details? In that case, clarification is required. How does the process really work? Well, it all begins with the pretreatment room, a series of operations that assures the establishment of a paint-attracting electrical charge.
Phase 1: Pretreatment
Just like any other electrically assisted coating system, the part in question must be prepped. Conductivity-hampering dirt is chemically and mechanically stripped away during this pretreatment phase. Only after the oil, dirt, and other contaminants are gone can the denuded part proceed. All that's left now is the application of a conversion coating. Applied as an iron phosphate or zinc phosphate base, this primer protects the now exposed metal from corrosion and ensures maximum paint uptake.
Phase 2: The Electrocoat Tank
A programmable hoist system conveys the parts. They're flying through the production line towards their drop point. Look closer, the parts are packed in bulk transport systems or racking equipment, all the better to assure a productive operation. A DC rectifier is regulating the circuit. It turns the parts into a cathode and the paint into an anode. Alternatively, the paint is charged negatively while the parts act as the circuit cathode. Lowered into the paint bath, the pigmented fluid electrodeposits on each and every part surface.
Phase 3: Rinse and Bake
Before the paint-covered component moves onto the curing oven, it must be rinsed. The rinse phase washes away undeposited material so that the aesthetically trimmed part's coating is finished in a skin-tight film. Past the rinse station, the component moves into a large oven. Crosslinked and baked in place, the uniformly distributed, electrically deposited coating hardens into a durable shell. The three or four stage process terminates in that curing oven, with the entire bake finishing in under twenty minutes.
All of these primary stages break down into numerous substages. There are different phosphates and cleaning techniques in the prep stage. Then, in the coatings tanks, the DC rectifier varies its output. The paint coating thickens as the charge increases. There are acrylic-based mediums and epoxy-based substitutes in those tanks. They flip polarity, gain different, more advanced fluid formulas, and the resulting finishes take on incredibly diverse material properties. Electrocoating technology, a paint depositing process, adds a durable, near VOC free (Volatile Organic Compounds) finish to large and small metal parts.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How Magnetic Induction Method Measure Powder Coating Thickness
- Overcoming the Faraday Cage Effect in Powder Coating Application
- The Significance of Particle Size in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- The Differences Between Powder Coating and Electroplating
- Powder Coat Adhesion Testing Process
- Why Is Powder Coating a Sustainable Option?
- Common Reasons for Chipped Powder Coating
- Electrostatic, Low Grade Ion, and Tribo: Charging Processes Used in Powder Coating
- What are the Causes of Outgassing in Powder Coating?
- Powder Coating Contamination and Its Effects on Product Quality
- Understanding the Causes of Craters in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Booth Temperature: A Factor in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- Powder Coating: A Phosphate Pre-Treatment is a Plus
- Paint Powder Qualities Required for Powder Coating Equipment
- Common Issues of Metallic Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Gun Settings: How It Can Affect Powder Coat Finish
- Turn Key Powder Coating Equipment: Customised Solution for All Powder Coating Needs
- Important Things to Keep in Mind Prior to Ordering Your Powder Coating Oven
- Appearance Issues: What Happens When a Powder Coating Equipment is Already Failing?
- View all articles…
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…