How to Maintain Powder Coated SurfacesOctober 24, 2018
Undeniably tough and long-lasting, there are few outside barrages that can impact a powder coated surface. Time, however, is one such assailant, one that can't be avoided. Imagine this scenario: a seaside resort has several attractive powder coated products on display. Salt is accumulating on the objects, and they're starting to show signs of wear. Without a maintenance policy in place, that salty deposit is going to cause problems.
Maintaining Powder Coated Surfaces
If those parts are attached to the deck of a seagoing sailboat, salty deposits are unavoidable. The salt performs its corrosive actions, the formerly tough coating starts breaking down, and the durable membrane is compromised. Every now and again, use a wet sponge to wipe away accumulated grime and salt. If the powder coated parts are deck components, then shorten the time between maintenance periods, for the coatings are eternally under attack. Ultimately, we collectively look at black blotches, stains and muck, only to label the stuff universally as "dirt." Who knows what acidic or corrosive substances are embedded in the filth. Clean the component surfaces to restore their intrinsic good looks, but also clean the accumulated masses because they may, over time, be eating into the durable shell of the powder coated skin.
Determining Maintenance Tactics
When a magic wet sponge isn't enough, we need to buckle down. Call in a plastic-bristled abrasive brush. Use the sponge and warm water to soften up the accumulated salt and grime, then use the soft-bristled brush to further displace the muck. A pH-neutral detergent is advisable here, but the formula should be compatible with the finish. Better yet, an approved cleaning formula works wonders here, with its residue-less chemical base guaranteeing purer, fresher results. Then, when all of the accumulated and encrusted muck is slipping free, rinse the surfaces with clean, mineral-free water. Don't use solvents, alcohol or any other harsh cleansers when cleaning powder coated surfaces.
If this advanced coating technology experiences mild wear, it's not too late to take action. The lustre has gone, the gloss is slipping away, but there are products that can save the day. Special powder coating-compatible waxes and polished are designed to restore that lost shine. Again, not every product fits the desired application. For example, most matte coatings and silk coatings, too, don't respond well to finish polishing products. The wax exists only to rejuvenate lost glossy coatings and to counter light-to-moderate surface damaging effects. Incidentally, some of those waxes and polishes contain UV (Ultraviolet) protection formulas. If a finish is constantly exposed to the harsh rays of the sun, consider this UV inhibiting option.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Powder Coating Turn-Key Coating Solutions: How Can it Help Manufacturers?
- Safety Measures When Powder Coating Materials
- How to Maintain Powder Coated Surfaces
- Benefits of Powder Coating Anodized Aluminium Extrusions
- Are There Additives Used for Powder Coating?
- Reasons Why Powder Coating Can Bubble, Crack, and Peel Off
- The Importance of Engineering Design in Powder Coating Equipment Manufacturing
- Maintenance Tips for Powder Coated Metals
- Beneficial Features of Powder Coating Curing Ovens
- Benefits of Turnkey Powder Coating Equipment for Businesses
- Purposes of Dry-Off Oven in Powder Coating
- Purposes of Stainless Steel Powder Coating Booths
- Powder Coating Pretreatment Equipment Supplier in Melbourne
- Overhead Conveyor and Turn Key System: Safety and Accuracy in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating for Aluminium Extrusions
- Electrocoating: Understanding How It Really Works
- Improving Uniform Transfer Efficiency of Powder Coating Guns
- What is Batch System in Powder Coating?
- Early Signs of Powder Equipment Fatigue and Breakdown
- Cost Effectiveness of Choosing Powder Coat versus Wet Paint
- Heat Tolerance of Powder Coating: How Much Can It Take?
- Powder Coating Aluminium Extrusions
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…