Is Powder Coating Better than Spray Paint?November 17, 2017
The debates continue and the dialogues are heated. Spray paint, a relatively efficient method of applying a widely distributed finish, matches up against powder coating technology. The scene is set, the benefits and ill effects are prepared, and we're all ready for a knockdown, drag-out brawl. Only, there's no real competition here, not after those pros-and-cons are objectively considered. Powder coating wins, and here's why.
The Environmental Factors
We keep returning to this contentious element, but there's a good reason for stressing this point. Spray paints may deliver great cover and the process may even work fast, but there's still solvents contained in those liquid drops. They spill and refuse to recycle. They're also harmful to the environment we've promised to protect. Remember, powder coating mediums are dry, plus they're entirely devoid of harmful solvents. Finally, that sprayed powder is recyclable. It can even be separated and reused.
Liquid paint spray droplets hit a surface and pool together as a thin coating. Powder coated parts are guaranteed a much denser covering, one that assures material strength. Frankly, because of that thin layering effect, spray painting methods have been forced to rely on multiple layers. As for that dry finish method, one electrostatically induced coating is more than enough to ensure a properly formed shell covers the entire workpiece. Interestingly, there are now charged paint spraying methods in certain industries. Do they trump our powder finish booths?
Exploring Two-Ended Coating Technology
We all know electrostatic charges contribute controllability to the part's finishing process. When the spray guns issue their powder-loaded stream, the charge on the metal workpiece can be varied to increase or decrease the skin depth. Overspray issues are managed in this manner, as are the unpredictable coverage issues that plague certain projects. In the past, spray paint sheds didn't have access to this charged mechanism. Modern facilities now atomise the paint and imbue it with a charge. Thus, the solvent-based process has become more regulable. However, these tools are expensive and not nearly as finitely controllable as a comparable powder coating facility.
In this powder coating versus spray painting contest, the former method wins out quite convincingly. Granted, paint does spray evenly, and it does provide a good solution when the equipment is employed in a massive production line. However, that paint is loaded with environmentally unfriendly chemicals, plus it doesn't offer nearly as much mechanical protection as a powder coated component. Additionally, the charging gear used in the dry finishing method offers more control, a feature that's not typically available in paint spray booths.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How the Right Powder Coating Equipment and Powder Coating Application Can Help Avert Corrosion and Rust
- The Benefits of Powder Coating in Metal Fabrication
- How Magnetic Induction Method Measure Powder Coating Thickness
- Overcoming the Faraday Cage Effect in Powder Coating Application
- The Significance of Particle Size in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- The Differences Between Powder Coating and Electroplating
- Powder Coat Adhesion Testing Process
- Why Is Powder Coating a Sustainable Option?
- Common Reasons for Chipped Powder Coating
- Electrostatic, Low Grade Ion, and Tribo: Charging Processes Used in Powder Coating
- What are the Causes of Outgassing in Powder Coating?
- Powder Coating Contamination and Its Effects on Product Quality
- Understanding the Causes of Craters in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Booth Temperature: A Factor in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- Powder Coating: A Phosphate Pre-Treatment is a Plus
- Paint Powder Qualities Required for Powder Coating Equipment
- Common Issues of Metallic Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Gun Settings: How It Can Affect Powder Coat Finish
- Turn Key Powder Coating Equipment: Customised Solution for All Powder Coating Needs
- Important Things to Keep in Mind Prior to Ordering Your Powder Coating Oven
- Appearance Issues: What Happens When a Powder Coating Equipment is Already Failing?
- View all articles…
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…