Powder Coating: A Phosphate Pre-Treatment is a PlusMarch 7, 2019
Phosphate pre-treatments take place within separate prep rooms, not among the powder coating equipment. The cleaning and scrubbing work removes oily deposits and built-up grime in here, then the parts priming work is implemented. It's this stage that, after that part has been scrubbed clean, targets the way in which a surface retains its powdery load. In a nutshell, the extra prep stage is a surface adhesion enhancer.
Reviewing Powder Coating Cleaning Strategies
There are the basic scrub and wash services, which remove dirt and oil. Special solvents and chemical cleansers do a better job, naturally enough. To go deeper, the parts can be placed in a pre-processing oven, which loosens up trapped oils. Like sweating skin, the metal pores release fluid impurities, which are washed away by an acetone cleaner. Alternatively, there are media blasting tools, with their gritty sands. Finally, with the part back to its virginal best, it's time to move the workpiece over to the powder coating booth. Only, that's not always the best option.
Optioning an Extra Stage: Phosphate Pre-Treatments
If a tightly run powder coating shop is going to add a new stage to its operations, that work had better add value to the final results. Rest easy, zinc phosphating really does improve the looks and mechanical qualities of a powder coated membrane. The chemical base microscopically coarsens a metal workpiece's surface. By doing this, the powder has something to grip. There's a good reason for taking this approach. Look closely, some alloy surfaces, especially those that live among the glossier steel families, are dense and slippery-smooth. If the powder coating procedure tries to discharge a cloud of blanketing dry particles here, problems rear their ugly heads.
Improves Coating Quality and Service Longetivity
The surface of a workpiece isn't observably rough after it exits a zinc phosphating station. Even to the touch, it still feels relatively smooth. That's a hallmark feature of powder coating, the glossy finish it conveys. If this pre-treatment stage can increase traction while it maintains that surface silky smooth appeal, then a phosphate pre-treatment stage is a welcome process supplement, even if it does add more work to a project run. As a result of that traction, the coating quality improves, skin longevity extends, and a part's corrosion resistance quotient climbs high.
Glossy metal surfaces are desirable, at least they are most of the time. In the powder coating sector, well, that slippery metal finish can become a counterproductive feature. Process managers introduce zinc and iron phosphating stations as an adhesion enhancing service. Now, after the surface has been microscopically roughened, the powder coating displays superior particle adhesion characteristics.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How Magnetic Induction Method Measure Powder Coating Thickness
- Overcoming the Faraday Cage Effect in Powder Coating Application
- The Significance of Particle Size in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- The Differences Between Powder Coating and Electroplating
- Powder Coat Adhesion Testing Process
- Why Is Powder Coating a Sustainable Option?
- Common Reasons for Chipped Powder Coating
- Electrostatic, Low Grade Ion, and Tribo: Charging Processes Used in Powder Coating
- What are the Causes of Outgassing in Powder Coating?
- Powder Coating Contamination and Its Effects on Product Quality
- Understanding the Causes of Craters in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Booth Temperature: A Factor in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- Powder Coating: A Phosphate Pre-Treatment is a Plus
- Paint Powder Qualities Required for Powder Coating Equipment
- Common Issues of Metallic Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Gun Settings: How It Can Affect Powder Coat Finish
- Turn Key Powder Coating Equipment: Customised Solution for All Powder Coating Needs
- Important Things to Keep in Mind Prior to Ordering Your Powder Coating Oven
- Appearance Issues: What Happens When a Powder Coating Equipment is Already Failing?
- View all articles…
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…