Reasons Why Powder Coating Can Bubble, Crack, and Peel OffSeptember 13, 2018
Like a bad case of skin rash, the powder coating is peeling off a workpiece. The exposed material underneath is going to corrode if the cause of the application defect isn't determined. Bringing the line to a halt, the equipment is on pause. The clock is ticking. What's making the normally unbreakable membrane crack? What's the root cause of the bubbling and peeling effect?
Admittedly, the fault could be taking place at the pre-processing stage, where oily residues remain trapped. However, the trapped gasses that are producing the bubbling during the curing operation could also be a result of the metals' own underlying structural failings. The casting process, way back at the forgings factory, has heat-trapped the gasses. Galvanized parts are particularly susceptible to this effect.
To the human eye, the part to be powder treated looks immaculate. It's sparkling clean, smooth to the touch, and seemingly prepped for the powder coating booth. A short time later, although uniformly coated during the electrostatic phase, the cooling shell is cracking. In all likelihood, there's still a fine layer of foreign matter covering the metal. A comprehensively conducted cleaning and pretreatment service, one that perhaps includes phosphating, will resolve the issue.
Remedying Eggshell Peel Off
Substrate preparation could be hampering the application work, or there could also be a substrate compatibility problem in the offing here, so take the entire batch back to the powder coating enclosure, where the snag is likely occurring. Alternatively, this would be a good opportunity to reassess the process line's contamination control protocols. Is there water or dust getting into the equipment?
Arresting Large-Scale Peeling and Flaking Issues
A quality-assurance check mark has been issued against the pre-treatment room. The electrostatic equipment is also getting the all-clear, as is the pre-heating gear. By a process of elimination, we arrive at the curing oven. It's here that the over or under-curing powder is acting up and peeling in long sections. The flaking effect is clearly unacceptable, so what's the next move? Have that oven maintained and serviced, of course.
Fortunately, most of these processing problems can be picked up before the product batch leaves the workshop. If that's not the case, a dissatisfied customer is never good. Run test pieces through the line, have that equipment checked and rechecked, and turn the pre-processing room upside down if that's what it takes. Test pieces and troubleshooting periods may sound costly, at least initially, but these options are still far cheaper than a customer who has decided to take his business somewhere else.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How Magnetic Induction Method Measure Powder Coating Thickness
- Overcoming the Faraday Cage Effect in Powder Coating Application
- The Significance of Particle Size in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- The Differences Between Powder Coating and Electroplating
- Powder Coat Adhesion Testing Process
- Why Is Powder Coating a Sustainable Option?
- Common Reasons for Chipped Powder Coating
- Electrostatic, Low Grade Ion, and Tribo: Charging Processes Used in Powder Coating
- What are the Causes of Outgassing in Powder Coating?
- Powder Coating Contamination and Its Effects on Product Quality
- Understanding the Causes of Craters in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Booth Temperature: A Factor in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- Powder Coating: A Phosphate Pre-Treatment is a Plus
- Paint Powder Qualities Required for Powder Coating Equipment
- Common Issues of Metallic Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Gun Settings: How It Can Affect Powder Coat Finish
- Turn Key Powder Coating Equipment: Customised Solution for All Powder Coating Needs
- Important Things to Keep in Mind Prior to Ordering Your Powder Coating Oven
- Appearance Issues: What Happens When a Powder Coating Equipment is Already Failing?
- View all articles…
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…