Sustainable Powder CoatingOctober 13, 2017
Process sustainability is one of those topics that concerns everyone. In general, these structured principles exist to preserve our planet's limited resources by controlling the materials consumed in those processes. Sustainable powder coating technology is built around these concepts. Designed to bond without using environmentally damaging solvents, the electrostatically based coating procedure is fundamentally clean and dry. After all, doesn't this technology recycle its own waste?
What is Powder Coating Reclaim?
Dedicated mechanisms collect the powder coating residue after the workpiece has moved on to the curing oven. They reclaim the waste and sieve the pigment-loaded particles. Indeed, there's a developing industry supporting this after-process strategy, with cyclone technology entering the equipment setup as a far more efficient reclaim system, one that meticulously sorts the different particles according to their mass. Meanwhile, a modular layout adds energy-efficiency to the recyclability feature. Imagine the streamlined labour costs and trimmed overhead when the parts conveyance apparatus hooks the powder application booth to the curing oven. A wet paint operation just can't match that kind of refined coating efficiency, nor can it hope to compete with the productivity-enhanced material handling strategies in use here.
A Study in Material Advantages
Even when a dried solvent is left to its own devices, there's a cost exacted. The heat of the sun causes volatile organic compounds to float free. The emitted solvents stink up the air and make sensitive respiratory systems contract. Headaches grow worse, people feel dizzy, and there are complaints of nausea. Again, solvent-formulated coatings are known to release these VOCs. Powder coated parts do not suffer from this side effect. The thermoplastic finish is hard and colourful, plus it's showing off a desired texture, but it's not emitting any toxic gasses. Viewed from a sustainability perspective, this means the coating will last because its naturally inert material base is unaffected by its environment. Designed to last, the powder finished product won't require maintenance, nor will it require a return to the application booth for a second coating.
Every stage in the powder coating process has sustainability aspirations. The equipment reclaims the material after the work in the booth is finished. Fans and ducts filter the particles, then there are cyclones and sieving systems in place to efficiently separate the powder. The application voltage and baking temperatures are finitely governable, so the productivity envelope always adopts a detailed shape, a profile that's manipulated to reduce the energy consumption footprint while product quality is maintained. Finally, when the parts leave the factory, they're VOC free and certain to last.
GP Industries Pty Ltd
1 Regal Court,
Vermont South VIC 3133
Phone: (03) 9802 1355
Fax: (03) 9802 6027
20 Burgess Road,
Bayswater North VIC 3153
Phone: (03) 9761 7676
Fax: (03) 9761 7671
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- How the Right Powder Coating Equipment and Powder Coating Application Can Help Avert Corrosion and Rust
- The Benefits of Powder Coating in Metal Fabrication
- How Magnetic Induction Method Measure Powder Coating Thickness
- Overcoming the Faraday Cage Effect in Powder Coating Application
- The Significance of Particle Size in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- The Differences Between Powder Coating and Electroplating
- Powder Coat Adhesion Testing Process
- Why Is Powder Coating a Sustainable Option?
- Common Reasons for Chipped Powder Coating
- Electrostatic, Low Grade Ion, and Tribo: Charging Processes Used in Powder Coating
- What are the Causes of Outgassing in Powder Coating?
- Powder Coating Contamination and Its Effects on Product Quality
- Understanding the Causes of Craters in Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Booth Temperature: A Factor in Powder Coating Transfer Efficiency
- Powder Coating: A Phosphate Pre-Treatment is a Plus
- Paint Powder Qualities Required for Powder Coating Equipment
- Common Issues of Metallic Powder Coating
- Powder Coating Gun Settings: How It Can Affect Powder Coat Finish
- Turn Key Powder Coating Equipment: Customised Solution for All Powder Coating Needs
- Important Things to Keep in Mind Prior to Ordering Your Powder Coating Oven
- Appearance Issues: What Happens When a Powder Coating Equipment is Already Failing?
- View all articles…
- Powder Coating in Sheet Metal Processing
- Powder Coating for Automotive for Best Finished Results
- View all articles…
- Is It Possible to Powder Coat Chrome Materials?
- Pre-Treatment Process of Materials before Powder Coating
- View all articles…